Re: Echo

At 07:27 AM 7/8/98 -0700, Russell B.Butler wrote:

>'MEX did have a hollow sound. Perhaps those black and
>white, art deco studios of WMEX (when it was 1510AM)
>...they were located opposite Fenway Park near The
>Yankee Network-WNAC....created an echo on-air.  There
>was only the one mic in a huge studio...must have been
>a twenty foot ceiling...where the DJ "spun the platters"
>(spun?) while the engineer, up above the studio, played
>commercials and rode gain.

The strangest reverb I ever heard was on WTRY in Troy in the mid-ish 60s.
It was VERY hollow sounding, the "dry" audio apparently was mixed in very
low.  I was just a kid and didn't know about spring reverbs at the time, I
just thought the jock was talking into a mic that was 5 feet away...never
could understand why they didn't get a lot of extraneous room noise.  Maybe
that's what they did do...there was no reverb on anything but mics.  I wish
I could find an aircheck of them with this audio...any I've ever heard were
fairly reverb-free.

WPRO-AM did something interesting with reverb, too.  It would normally be
at a noticeable, but not overwhelming level, but apparently there was a way
for the jock to get much more intense reverb at will, they'd always hit it
for the words "PRO Show" during their breaks.