Re: E-skip!

     The "Garden City, NJ/20" station you were receiving was in fact
WLIW/21, Garden City, Long Island, NY.  They are a frequent visitor to
the Boston area about this time of the year. They are a PBS affiliate,
but does not act like one at times.  Their promos are more like an
Indie like WABU/68.  I guess they want to separate themselves from the
stodgy WNET/13 set.  From what I have been able to see, they have made
their niche.  They are nice people at WLIW.  I got a nice QSL letter
from them, several years ago.

73,
Peter ("Pete") Q. George (N1GGP)
Whitman, MA

Yes, I recall those famous WXNE "Boston/25" promos....
  "Boston turn, New England turn.......everybody turn
25....TONIGHT !!!!" :)

- ---Keith Barry <abarry19@idt.net> wrote:

> Since so many of us have our ears glued to the WRKO July 4th
programming
> *JK!*, I doubt anyone noticed the wonderful tropospheric conditions
tonight.
> Seriously, Howie Carr is even MORE annoying when on hard disk,
"talking up"
> a song! Anyways, I got several great tropo catches (with cassette
recorder
> rolling away), including WBAB, Glen Cove, Long Island, New York. I
also
> picked up WLNG (back on after storm damage), and a station on 105.3
> identifying itself only as "Hot 105" from Long Island. When I turned
on the
> TV (and fired up the VCR), I was able to see the new WTXX/WTIC-TV
newscast,
> WHCT, the former WOST-TV (now WPXQ?), WRIW-LP (briefly!), the
station from
> Long Island on 67 (with HSN), several "Telemundo" relays, a lot of
"PaxNet"
> relays (including one unidentified relay on channel 43). There is an
> unidentified station on channel 31 that I picked up. It showed World
Cup
> soccer, and all on-screen graphics were in English, so it couldn't be
> Telemundo. WBNE had "Soul Train"-esque programming, rather than the
> late-night syndicated show that WB stations usually carry (VIBE? Magic
> Johnson? One of those!). There was a great Indie on channel 20 from
Garden
> City, NJ (I can't remember the calls, I'll have to go look at the
tape),
> which had ITN news and an old movie on - with GREAT promos that made
one
> feel as if one was watching WXNE or the OLD WSBK TV-38. Let's hope
that the
> conditions that brought the radio from Long Island will bring rain to
> Florida. I'm glad to hear that radio down there is really serving
the people
> in time of need. To think - "The Big Ape" saving lives!
>
>                                                 - Keith Barry
>                                                 kbarry@geocities.com

==