E-skip!

Since so many of us have our ears glued to the WRKO July 4th programming
*JK!*, I doubt anyone noticed the wonderful tropospheric conditions tonight.
Seriously, Howie Carr is even MORE annoying when on hard disk, "talking up"
a song! Anyways, I got several great tropo catches (with cassette recorder
rolling away), including WBAB, Glen Cove, Long Island, New York. I also
picked up WLNG (back on after storm damage), and a station on 105.3
identifying itself only as "Hot 105" from Long Island. When I turned on the
TV (and fired up the VCR), I was able to see the new WTXX/WTIC-TV newscast,
WHCT, the former WOST-TV (now WPXQ?), WRIW-LP (briefly!), the station from
Long Island on 67 (with HSN), several "Telemundo" relays, a lot of "PaxNet"
relays (including one unidentified relay on channel 43). There is an
unidentified station on channel 31 that I picked up. It showed World Cup
soccer, and all on-screen graphics were in English, so it couldn't be
Telemundo. WBNE had "Soul Train"-esque programming, rather than the
late-night syndicated show that WB stations usually carry (VIBE? Magic
Johnson? One of those!). There was a great Indie on channel 20 from Garden
City, NJ (I can't remember the calls, I'll have to go look at the tape),
which had ITN news and an old movie on - with GREAT promos that made one
feel as if one was watching WXNE or the OLD WSBK TV-38. Let's hope that the
conditions that brought the radio from Long Island will bring rain to
Florida. I'm glad to hear that radio down there is really serving the people
in time of need. To think - "The Big Ape" saving lives!

                                                - Keith Barry
                                                kbarry@geocities.com