No Subject

One more Quebec City note: there are plenty of billboards around town
advertising CBV's move from 980 to 106.3.  The former CBV-FM on 95.3
is now identifying as CBVX.

Leaving Quebec City behind, we drove through La Pocatiere but couldn't
find CHOX (97.5), so it was off to Trois-Rivieres, where it began to
rain.  We waited out the rain over lunch, then headed up to Shawinigan
to see the tower that carries Trois-Riviere's FMs and TVs.  It's a
monster -- well over a thousand feet tall with an impressive
encrustation of TV and FM bays.

We saw the Trois-Rivieres TV studios as well; one for TVA affiliate
CHEM (Channel 8), the other for Radio-Canada affiliate CKTM (Channel
13) and Quatre-Saisons outlet CFKM (Channel 16).  And when we hit the
radio studios, sure enough, Radio-Media had struck again: "Energie" on
CIGB (102.3), "Rock-Detente" on CHEY (94.7), and news-talk on CHLN
(550), with a simulcast in Shawinigan on CKSM (1220).

Crossing over the St. Lawrence River, we stopped at the former site of
CJTR (1140), where one tower remains standing, then to the CHLN site
and onwards towards Montreal under cloudy skies.

Our first stop on Montreal's South Shore was in Brossard, where a
short walk took us to the transmitter of CBF (690) and CBM (940), at
least for the moment.  Both stations have added FM service, CBF on
95.1 and CBME on 88.5 (with a miserably bad signal, we might note),
and the clock is ticking on the AMs.

We also stopped by the former site of CFMB 1410, which left the air a
few years back when the multi-lingual station took over CJMS' old 1280
facility.  1410 was reactivated earlier this year as a temporary home
for CJAD, which lost its own 800 kHz facility to the ice storm.  More
on that in a moment...