Garner Ted and Hebert W (but not Jack) Armstrong (was Re: WITS)

At 10:00 PM 6/24/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Remember "The Wooooooorld Tomorrow"?  For many years it was hard to
>avoid this program when scanning across the AM band at night.
>"Greetings friends around the world, this is Herbert W. Armstrong with
>the good news of the World Tomorrow!"  WITS carried this radio ministry
>of the Worldwide Church of God Sunday through Friday.

Do you remember Garner Ted Armstrong, the son of Herbert W? I remember
hearing GT much more than I heard HW until the elder Armstrong ousted his
son from the Church for some transgression (real or imagined). In GT's
heyday, the program was heard on all of the major 50-kW AM powerhouses I
could pick up. GT had an absolutely mesmerizing voice and delivery. He
sounded more like Paul Harvey than Paul Harvey did. I'm sure that many, many
people thought that they were listening to Harvey. Though I am not at all of
that religious persuasion, I thought that listening to GT was one of the
most incredible radio experiences of that era. I'm sure that somewhere,
there must be quite a library of GT tapes. If someone has some and would be
willing to share them, listening is an experience that should not be missed
by anyone too young to have caught the programs the first time around. I'm
sure that HW has passed to his reward, and quite possibly so has GT. Can
someone let us know whether the Worldwide Church of God still exists, and if
so who heads it now? Is the Church still active in radio, and does it have a
spokesperson anywhere near as eloquent as HW, let alone GT?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205