Re: Urban Radio in Boston

In a message dated 98-06-15 10:13:13 EDT, LJNF40D@prodigy.com writes:

<< No they don't have the same problem as WVBF or WHTT.
  But the point was that 12+ #'s don't necessarily correlate with revenue
 or 25-54 demos. >>

Agreed.  But as I mentioned earlier, WJMN is designed to complement Kiss 108,
which DOES do well 25 to 54.  JMN skims off some of the lower end demos and
minority listenership and leaves Kiss' listenership very white, professional
and older skewing, which is a dream to ad buyers.  It's too bad this racist,
ageist bias seems to exist among ad agencies, but Chancellor does what it has
to to make a buck in this town.

I also think that JMN has more 25-54 listeners than people realize.  This town
has no fulltime urban FM, and many upper-class minorities that live in the
'burbs cant recieve WILD or WNFT very well, so they are forced to listen to
WJMN by default.
An earlier post on this list suggests that some WILD and presumably some JMN
listeners are starting to sample WNFT.  I think the time is right for an urban
or urban AC on FM in Boston.

< First off, the are solidly in the top ten in terms of revenue, about ten to
twelve million a year...Hmmmmm....doesn't sound correct to me...10-12 Million?
Source?>

Duncan's American Radio Report for 1997.  They estimate that the Chancellor
stations (Kiss, WJMN and XKS-AM) have about 15% of the total radio revenues in
Boston.  Not bad for a couple of 18-34 skewing CHR's.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks