Re: Newsgroup Postings

Dear Mr. Casey,

Thank you for your prompt, cordial and honest response.

I agree with you that many of the expectations upon WBZ as
Boston's newsleader are unreasonable and fiscally unsound. However, as WBZ is
in the unique position of being the
sole provider of radio news and information to much of the
greater Boston area, it creates an enormous responsibility,
only bolstered by marketing messages along the lines of
"When it's happening out there, you're hearing it here," and
"All news, seven days a week."

While a 24-hour news service may be unrealistic, an additonal
news station in this city would certainly complement your
coverage, as well as inspire some healthy competition. I'm
familiar with such a situation in Los Angeles, where KNX
provides seven day coverage, but includes a few features like
a nightly hour of radio drama, curiously like you cite on WEEI.
The other news station, KWFB, offers the "Give us 22 minutes
and we'll give you the world" format. While there's the obvious
market size difference, I suspect the correspondence of
English language listeners may be closer to Boston.

I look for information on WBZ mostly when I'm driving around
the greater Boston area. I also often listen to Brudnoy at home
in the evenings. I don't expect much from TV news that radio
can't provide, as TV news is slave to picture enhancement, no
matter what subject it covers. Radio can be far more
immediate in presentation. Although there are many alternate
outlets available for news on broadcast TV, cable and internet,
I find it a shame Radio is willing to abdicate its awesome
power of information delivery it possesses through meek
acceptance of the overshadowing popularity of glossier media
alternatives.

Thank you.

- - Henry Dane

<<Mr. Dane:

Thank you for your comments about WBZ and the storm coverage on Saturday.
 While returning from a family event on the Cape Saturday I started
listening just before 7PM and heard of the severity of the storm's
effects.  At that time I called in to make sure we were doing updates in
"Calling All Sports" every 15 minutes.  Those updates included the
flooding conditions, traffic, weather, etc.   The editor on duty should
have page me when the state of emergecncy in Boston was declared.

I know many of you in the newsgroup feel Boston should have a 24 hour a
day, all news all the time, news station as the old WEEI was for much of
its life.  But the old WEEI never turned a profit and was not succesful
radio station.  The thing about all-news is that the majority of the
audience only wants it when the need strikes them.   That need doesn't
come to often for enough people in the evenings and overnights.  The news
all day and talk all night is a better fit for audience habits in Boston
and to be able to put our resources on when the available audience is
there.  The news business has changed quite a lot since WEEI was on as a
news station.  Even in their later years they'd started doing the Mystery
Theater in the evenings, and also some sports talk during the evenings.
 With all the news cable channels available now radio competes in a  very
different way then it ever did before. TV news and programming is
becoming today more like the way radio used to be with many stations or
ablce outlets doing lots of cross over formats.  Radio stations these
days have had to isolate a more narrowly defined format than ever before.

Thank you.>>