RE: Oldest Non-Comm in Boston

     That honor belongs to WERS-FM.  This well respected non-comm hit
the airwaves in 1949 with 10 lovely watts of power on 88.1 MC/s.  In
the early 1950's, they moved up the dial to 88.9 MC/s with 18,000
watts of horizontally polarized power.  It was said that you could
listen to 'ERS on your toaster oven if you lived on Beacon Street in
Boston.  In April, 1974 WERS-FM moved their transmitting facilities to
the Prudential Tower with 895 watts ERP and for the first time.....in
stereo.  Since then, they moved to (I believe...) One Financial Center
with 5,000 watts ERP. I guess the exorbitant rent from the Pru was too
much.
     WBUR fired-up in 1950 and WGBH-FM fired-up in '51. WTBS (now
WMBR) turned on, several years later.
 Oh, BTW: WBIM-FM (91.5) at Bridgewater State College signed-on in
November,1972 and WSHL-FM (91.3) at Stonehill College on New Year's
Day 1974.  Just thought I would add that little tid-bit of information
for flavor. :)

- -Pete-

==