Re: Boston Radio Watch 05-22-1998

Good question BUMP. From what I know and have heard in rumor form, the only
big money people left were Jerry Williams and Marjorie Clapprood. Clapprood
was making $400K and they canned her. I heard that Katz/McCarthy were making
less than $200K together, giving WRKO a $200K savings annually in mornings.
They also cut William's pay quite handsomely. I know that he was making in the
low 6 figures ($200-300K) when he was on for four hours a day so I would
assume he is making less than $100K to do weekends now. There are jokes about
Howie Carr making "$800 large" ($800K) but I would imagine he makes half that
(especially with his syndication deals) but he laments that he makes "less
than the President" which could mean anything from $200K (Prez salary) to
$1.7M (Prez/Hils reported 1997 earnings). Although, Carr was always pissy at
Clapprood and a lot of it had to do with salaries, so, who knows, maybe he
makes less?

That leaves Tai and the Dipshits Dipping, who is probably making $50-60K and
part-timers, who make nowhere near that. Board operators earn $6 an hour at
WRKO. I only know this because I laughed in PD Kevin Straley's face when he
told me that that is what WRKO would pay me to work there. "You leave $6 an
hour wage earners to control your multi-million station?!" To which he replied
"I leave the station in the hands of interns sometimes." Amazing.

Now, look at what they have syndicated? Limboob, Dr. Loudmouth, Art Bell and a
bunch of weekend stuff. All barter. I know that Limboob is trying to squeeze
some barter plus payment arrangement out of his affiliates which has prompted
some to drop his show. I guess the $25 million a year he is already making
isn't enough for him.

Tony

In a message dated 5/28/98 12:22:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,