Re: Political Talkers

I would agree with both of your comments, first about Jerry Williams and then
about pols becoming talk show hosts.

The last time I spoke to Jerry, he was really missing his old slot from 2-6
PM, nevermind the one he was demoted to before weekends, at 10 AM-Noon. And
the great thing about his show, not only that he was politically literate,
fair and entertaining, but he would pound an issue into the ground. By
allowing numerous people to comment about an issue for two or four hours, you
can really get a good feel for what the people think. Now, granted, talk radio
listeners are an odd lot and consultants estimate that only 2% of people who
listen actually call, but Jerry's shows sure beat the current ones who quickly
glance over an issue in 40 minutes (and don't forget, 20 minutes worth of
ads!) or sometime less.

As for pols becoming talk show hosts, I have found some of them do pretty
decent issue oriented shows. Jim Hightower's and Jerry Brown's syndicated
shows were/are very enlightening. Other local shows I have heard from past
candidates have been pretty informative too. I know for myself I have taken
the opposite tract: Moving from talk radio to candidate, mainly out of
necessity because of the lack of opportunity to broadcast and the shrinking
vehicle for open discussion of ideas on talk radio.

In a message dated 5/28/98 8:48:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, billo@erols.com