Re: More Media overkill - so what?

In a message dated 5/16/98 9:05:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
dlh@donnahalper.com writes:

<< My problem is that celebrity news is lazy journalism-- it's
 easier to do interviews with fans of Seinfeld or people who knew Frank
 Sinatra than it is to cover so-called 'hard news', stories that require a
 bit more work than calling a publicist or attending a press conference.  I
 believe that there is a time and a place for 'soft news', but to me, it
 seems to have taken over entire newscasts way too often, as TV shows are
 used to generate news stories ("tonight, you saw Andy on NYPD Blue battling
 prostate cancer, a struggle faced by  a number of men in greater Boston, and
 we'll interview one of them tonight...")-- that sort of story. >>

They do stories on what the idiot population wants. Unforunately, that is
where the majority have their heads these days. MSNBC's highest ever rated
program?? Sonny Bono's Funeral.

Mike