Re: let's be civil...

At 01:54 PM 4/24/98 -0500, you wrote:

>However, if they had a COMPETITOR on the FM dial, WQEW would die in a
>heartbeat.

Not sure. WQEW has had an FM competitor and maybe still has. Not much of a
signal (it's a translator) and it's in mono. I'm referring to the famous (or
infamous) Jukebox Radio, WJUX, licensed to Monticello NY, 100 miles from New
York City. WJUX has (or had) a translator (at 103.1, I believe) in Ft Lee NJ
just across the Hudson from Manhattan and a few miles south of the George
Washington Bridge. I believe that the translator is directional to the
north. It comes in (or came in) clearly from midtown Manhattan to maybe
Yonkers--at least it does so (or did so) within a couple of miles of the River.

I'm uncertain about whether the translator is still on the air. What got the
translator (or if it's still on the air, what is attempting to get it) is
not WQEW but WVNJ, Oakland NJ on 1160. The problem (was/is) not competition
from WVNJ, but a complaint that WVNJ lodged with the FCC after WVNJ adopted
its (top-notch, locally produced, and presumably very costly) adult
standards format, in competition with WQEW and WJUX. The complaint alleged
that, in contradiction to FCC rules, WJUX was originating its programming
from Ft Lee (or someplace nearby) rather than from Monticello. Also, the
area served by the translator does not fill a gap in the WJUX's coverage; it
covers a completely separate (and very populous) area.

I've heard WJUX, and it does (or did) a fine job. A few of the air staff are
alums of the old WNEW (AM), now WBBR. WJUX also used some of WNEW's
intellectual property, most likely without benefit of permission from the
copyright holder (CBS?, Bloomberg?). Among the things I heard were the
Make-Believe Ballroom theme with Glen Miller and the Modernaires (on a
program called "The Make-Believe Ballroom") and the famous WNEW "bouncing
beep" news signature. I think WJUX also used WNEW's "News Around the Clock"
positioner at the start of its newscasts. The station sounded quite
community involved--with north Jersey and New York. They also occasionally
mentioned Sullivan County (Monticello)--to keep their hand in, I suppose.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205