NorthEast Radio Watch 4/23: New TV in Maine

*There will soon be a new commercial TV station in MAINE.  A company
called "Winstar" has settled with the other applicants for channel 23
in Waterville.  The new station will broadcast from Danford Hill in
Litchfield.  NERW wonders: "WB23"?

Elswehere in the Pine Tree State, Portland talker WGAN (560) has found
a replacement for the soon-to-be-defunct Mary Matalin show in
afternoons.  John McDonald, who hosts the Saturday and Sunday morning
shows on WGAN, will take the 3-6PM weekday slot, while giving up his
Sunday morning program.  McDonald has done weekends at WGAN since
1991; he's also a storyteller, newspaper columnist, and former
correspondent for WMTW-TV -- which, by the way, has started
broadcasting from a new set.  And in Topsham, "Galaxy 95.5," WXGL, is
being transferred from Liz and Stan Arno to Chris Outwin.

*On to MASSACHUSETTS, where the former WARA sheds the calls it's had
since, well, forever -- and becomes WJYT.  We don't know why, either,
but we'd suspect its's part of the Attleboro 1320's transfer to ADD
Media and format change to leased-time ethnic.

We've been reporting rumored sales of WKOX (1200 Framingham) for as
long as we've been putting this column out, but consider this: 'KOX is
now the last station remaining in the Fairbanks Broadcasting stable.
The company is selling its hometown cluster in the West Palm Beach
market (3 AMs and 3 FMs) to Clear Channel Broadcasting.  How long will
Fairbanks keep its one leased-time AM?

The FCC has granted the sale of Worcester's WORC (1310) to Chowder
Broadcasting.

Congratulations to WHYN-FM (93.1 Springfield) morning team Dan
Williams and Kim Zachary, who've been named "Personalities of the
Year" by the Massachusetts Broadcasters Association...and condolences
to the family of Victor Best, the former owner of the Northeast Broadcast
School and former WBZ-TV newscaster.  Best died April 5 in
Florida at age 79.

And if you're anxiously awaiting the debut of WCDJ (102.3) in Truro,
keep waiting.  The construction permit's owner has requested yet
another extension.  The original application for 102.3 went in way
back in 1984.

*In RHODE ISLAND, we hear WBUR's new public radio outlet, WRNI (1290)
will debut on May 1.  The Boston Globe reports that Robert Ames (late
of WBZ and the old WEEI) and Deborah Becker will be local hosts on
1290.

Looking for the former DJs on the old WHIM (1450 West Warwick)?  We're
told three of them have landed on low-power TV WRIW-LP (Channel 23):
former PD Danny Williams weeknights at 5, Charlie Huddle weeknights at
10, and Jeff Davis Sunday nights at 10.

*CONNECTICUT's NBC affiliate has a new on-air look.  WVIT (Channel 30)
in New Britain now goes by "NBC30" to go along with its new NBC
network ownership.  Monroe Board of Education's WGRS (91.5 Guilford)
has applied for a power increase from 3300 watts to 6000 -- and for
new translators on 89.7 in Avon and 91.9 in Huntington.

*VERMONT could soon have a new FM station.  WWFY owner John Bulmer has
applied to move his 93.7 CP from Hague NY to Addison VT as yet another
Burlington-market drop-in.

*Moving along to NEW YORK, we'll begin with a correction.  We
speculated wrongly last week about the "5 kilowatt daytimer" for sale
near Albany.  It's WLAL (1190) in Cobleskill, and the station and 11
acres of land are being offered for $75,000.

In the New York City market, WJDM(EB) (1660 Elizabeth NJ) has been
sold to Catholic Radio Network as part of a ten-station, $57 million
deal.  Staying in Jersey for a moment, the FCC has approved the new
transmitter site for funky freeform station WFMU (91.1 East Orange).
And WNSR (105.1 New York) has been granted new calls of WBIX.

WWXY (107.1 Briarcliff Manor), the northernmost part of the "Y107"
country trimulcast, was off the air for part of Wednesday, apparently
to install a new antenna for higher power.

Up in the North Country, the tower of WXQZ (101.5 Canton) has been
sold to SBA Towers of Florida for $25,000.  It's on Waterman Hill near
Canton.  Ogdensburg's WZEA (98.7) has been silent for part of the
week; no word why.  In Watertown, WCIZ (93.5) has been granted its
move to 93.3.  It's also changed slogans to "All New Classic Hits 93-5
CIZ-FM," and hired Bonnie Petrie from the FSR network in Ogdensburg
and Gouverneur.

You might have seen the network video of a 1200-foot tower being
demolished in the Utica area this week.  It wasn't broadcast; it was a
LORAN tower in the Utica area, no longer needed as the LORAN
navigation system gets supplanted by GPS.

Family Life Radio's WCOT (90.9 Jamestown) has applied for an 88.5
translator in Fredonia.  NERW wonders whether adjacent-channel WBFO
(88.7) in Buffalo will object...

*Finally this week, NERW salutes the folks at Toronto's CBC Broadcast
Centre for an incredible open house last Sunday.  The occasion was the
move of CBC Radio One from CBL (740) to CBLA (99.1) -- but the CBC
went far beyond the call of duty, with all-day live broadcasts from
the atrium, an hour-long special at noon, and every staff member on
hand to welcome visitors to all three radio floors of the Broadcast
Centre building.  We had a great time...and now we're really going to
miss the programming when CBL leaves 740 kHz for good come October.

*That's it for this week; see you next Thursday with much more fun and
excitement from up and down the radio dials...

- -=Scott Fybush - NorthEast Radio Watch - (c) 1998=-