Re: Amateur hour at WHYN

Donna Halper wrote:

> Howard wrote--
> >... an outdated promo -- "Only one day to the Red Sox season
> >opener ... on WHYN Springfield" -- ran three times over the network
> >audio, followed each time by a snatch of the ABC News theme.
> >
> >Can any of you radio pros explain how this sort of slipshoddery happens
> >on a weekday afternoon on a major station in its market?
>
> Okay, can anybody explain why WBZ still has wrong carts cued up, wrong
> outcues, and announcers still being taken by surprise by what they thought
> was up and what actually ran?  Twice yesterday, this happened-- once when
> Tom Cuddy announced a Pedro Martinez actuality but instead one by Mo Vaughn
> played, and again later when one of the news anchors intro'd an actuality
> but that was not the one which ran. Sloppy radio in a major market--  have
> we really made 'the right choice'?  And as for sloppy radio in Springfield,
> hey even when I was a board op, I listened for cues while the game was on,
> and I was trained enough so that I didn't even miss an ID... maybe they
> don't train the board ops anymore?

20 years ago when I was making minimum wage, doing nights in my first  full
time radio gig I lived radio...spent most of my free time at the radio
station...was lucky enough to be trained by quality program directors who they
themselves loved working in radio.

I worry that working as a board op for minimum wage today is simply a job that
is interchangebale with working the drive through,  bagging groceries,  clerking
at an outlet mall store (not that there's anything wrong with that!)....Would I
have been attracted to a career in radio if I was turing 18 today.  Not likely.

Hopper