Re: Amateur hour at WHYN

>I worry that working as a board op for minimum wage today is simply a job
that
>is interchangebale with working the drive through,  bagging groceries,
clerking
>at an outlet mall store (not that there's anything wrong with
that!)....Would I
>have been attracted to a career in radio if I was turing 18 today.  Not
likely. >
>Hopper

What amazes me is how much easier today's studio equipment is to operate
than 10-20 years ago, but the oops just keep on coming.....  I trained on a
series of 1970 10 channel McGurdy's at WJUL (great boards that lasted for
years) that had no flashing switch lights to remind you that the spot had
already run.  Patch bays were standard methods for bringing in feeds,
patching around channels that decided to die, pads to bring down hot remote
feeds, calls to Telco to explain line problems.  Tape delay consisting of
two Scullys side by side in the bench connected by the reels.  No fast cue
cart machines.  ITC triples that _always_ had particular quirks of the week
that couldn't be used as an excuse.  XMTR readings meant making some
calculations or reading a chart.  Reflected power concerns during icing.  I
am sure you have a list.   A computer in the studio?  You'd be luck to have
a slide rule!
Bill O'Neill