Re: Where is the Talk?

At 10:25 PM 4/1/98 EST, you wrote:
>Okay, I know you all are about fed up with my rants on the list here about
>
>So, I called WRKO trying to lodge a complaint about what they are doing. After
>15 minutes of voicemail and endless ringing, the board op picks up and informs
>me that ARS is contractually obligated to play the Celtics on a seperate
>station from Red Sox games... (Why not the 93.7 The Crow instead I think to
>myself?)
>
>I then ask him why they don't broadcast the Celtics on WNFT which is not doing
>any relevant programming. He informs me that ARS no longer owns WNFT (!!).

I believe that, technically, the board-op was correct on both counts. I
believe the Celtics contract with ARS says that if WEEI can't clear time
because of a commitment to the red Sox, WRKO _must_ air the Celtics. It's
that straightforward.

As for ARS not owning WNFT, a month or more ago, ARS conveyed the Boston
properties that then appeared to be the ones that CBS would not acquire to a
trust. The FCC approved the transfer. I don't recall the name of the trust,
or the exact list of stations, but I believe the stations were WEGQ, WAAF,
WNFT, and WWTM. Apparently, something changed with WNFT as the deal went
down to the wire. Of course, I think ARS or maybe Dodge himself controls the
trust, so it's only technically correct that ARS no longer owns WNFT.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205