Re: Campbell Sports Network (was: Red Sox on WHCT)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, PETER GEORGE, N1GGP wrote:

>      How old man Campbell got the rights for both the Red Sox and the Bruins
> was beyond me.  It took over four weeks to get even a cheap tin-box sounding
> from Plymouth.  Like the folks at WHAV, I had to jury-rig a FM receiver to

  Campbell got the deal because he was a drinking buddy of Haywood
Sullivan. But as bad as things were on the Red Sox side, the Bruins were
worse. Even when they got the satellite network feed up and running, they
would use a regular phone line to Plymouth even from the Garden.

What finally did WPLM in was the 1986 post season. Under MLB rules, only
the flagship station could carry the post season with local announcers, so
most Sox fans inside 128 could not hear Ken Coleman and crew.