Re: Red Sox announcers

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Aaron H Mintz wrote:

> 1.When was Johnny Pesky a Red Sox Announcer? He did it for at least a
> year in the 60's.

  Pesky worked with Coleman on WBZ-TV from 72-74. (I also seem to recall
that Pesky worked TV games on WHDH for at least a year around 1970.

> 2.Did Dick Stockton or Ken Harrelson ever do radio?

  No.

> 3.Did Joe Castiglione start in 1979 when Coleman came back?
> 4.Was Rico Petrocelli or Jerry Remy ever on radio team?

  When WITS "fired" Martin and Woods after the 1978 season, Coleman was
teamed with Rico in 1979, and then Jon Miller came aboard. Castiglone came
aboard when WPLM got the rights.

  After the 1989 season, WRKO got the rights and everybody assumed that
Coleman would stay and Castiglone would be shown the door, and the reverse
happened. WRKO then hired Bob Starr to be the lead announcer.

 5.Did I leave anyone elso out

 Don Gillis did Sox television for one season in the late 50's when Gowdy
had major back problems. He also possibly did some radio.

As posted earlier, Leo Egan and Spike Jones did games during an AFTRA
walkout (1969).....

John McLaren was the one I couldn't remember, except he was fired mid
season because they couldn't keep him sober and he was replaced by Dave
Martin.