Re: WEVD (was WFAN New York)

At 03:30 AM 8/4/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Rob Landry wrote:
>
>> Can a commercial broadcaster like Salem legally discriminate against Jews
>> or other non-Christians looking to buy time?  If so, that's yet another
>> reason (in my humble opinion) to discourage this sort of thing on the
>> public airwaves.
>

>Let's put the shoe on the other foot: if "Jews for Jesus" tried to buy time
>on  WEVD, owned by the Jewish Daily Forward, it would offend the station's
>audience.  WEVD would have an understandable business-related reason to
>turn them down.

Although the programming might indeed offend WEVD's audience, I don't think
the station could go beyond reasoning with the origanization in its attempts
to get them not to run the programs on WEVD. If time were available and the
station simply refused to accept the programs, I believe that the station
would be in for a court battle and, very likely, would lose its license.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205