Re: WEVD (was WFAN New York)

At 04:02 AM 8/4/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Donna Halper wrote:
>>
>>> Interestingly, while there is a perception that there are lots and lots of
>>> Jews, the fact is we are about 3% of the United States total population...
>>> (Hitler did his job all too well, but even before Hitler, Jews were only
>>> about 5%...)
>>
>>Hitler may have been most successful at reducing the size of the world
>>Jewish population, but I don't see where he reduced the U.S. Jewish
>>population.  He may have increased it, to the extent that refugees could
>>get into this country.

As far as I know, regulations were not eased to allow refugees into this
country. My late wife's parents fled the Holocaust from Germany in 1939
with, quite literally, nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They
went to Shanghai because that was the only place to which they could secure
transportation that would also admit them. My wife was born in Shanghai (the
daughter of German-Jewish parents who had arrived in Japanese-occupied China
only a week or so before she was born). The three of them then waited for 16
months for the US State Department to go through its paperwork and to make
sure that the family members in the US who said they would sponsor the
family actually had the means to do so. They arrived in San Francisco in
December 1940 on a Japanese ship--just a year before Pearl Harbor. Many Jews
who got to Shanghai were not so lucky. They spent the War in China under
Japanese occupation because the State Department wouldn't allow them into
the US. Of course, they were a lot luckier than those who did not get out of
Germany, Poland and other Nazi-occupied countries.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205