Re: WBZ Weather

> Does anyone know why it was that WBZ 1030 dumped using the TV
> weathermen; I.E. Bruce Schwoegler (sp?) Barry Burbank, etc., in favor of
> "AccuWeather"?

My hunch:  When that first happened I faguely recall the reasons involving
two points, first was a union contract issue (TV guys wanted some
reasonable compensation to do radio side and were declined).  A secondary
premise was that Accu-WX was a fairly good service BZ didn't want the
competition to get (HDH?).  (Aside from WX Services in Bedford/Zona,
Saulnier, etc., there was no other solid competition.  Come to think of it,
there still isn't.)

Elliot Abrams was funny with Maynard at the toss, drumming up punny wx
limericks, stories, etc., and Maynard would just giggle.  It worked most of
the time.  (Since BZ went nx, however, Abrams is just straight from the
copy, underutilized.  It would make sense for the morning TV wx guy to feed
the radio side, esp. with the renewed effort to link the two facilities.
Remember this?  Larry Glick had a funny way of introducing Bruce Schoegler,
something like this (phonetically) "Time for Carl Ludvig Kraus Von
Schvegla!  You vill listen!...."

On a related note, what's your prediction for future of current News 4 New
England talent?

Bill O'Neill