Re: more WNAC / WLAW / WVDA

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> So I think the Archives has to set its own
> rules. I guess this case is "the exception that proves the rule." BTW, in
> this case, the word "proves" means not to show that the rule is correct, but
> rather to test the rule. I think we've done that!

That's what that expression was intended to mean.  The sense of the word
"prove" has changed since the expression was coined.

I think the Archives already makes an exception to its rules with respect
to WBZ.  The original WBZ in Springfield became WBZA and was discontinued
in 1962.  The present WBZ is the continuation of the original WBZA in
Boston.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/