Re: Oldies 1-0-3 POINT 3

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Gary F wrote:

> I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that since around July
> 1st Oldies 103 has been calling themselves "Oldies 103 POINT THREE".

I wonder whether they're going to change the signs on the front of the
building.

> If I may offer two theories: (1) perhaps in areas on the Mass/Conn
> boarder where WDRC-FM can be heard (102.9, but calling themselves Big
> D-103), Oldies 103 may feel that they are being confused with the
> similar format from the Big D and thus losing ratings meant for
> themselves, OR, (2) maybe the same "brainiac" who dumped WBZ-TV and TV-4
> from the TV logos (now back in place thank goodness) is thinking about
> changing the FM calls from WODS to WBZ-FM and Id'ing as:  103AM,
> 103.3FM, WBZ/WBZ-FM, Boston.

I can't see that it makes any sense to change WODS to WBZ-FM.  WODS is a
successful station, is well identified with its calls, and the calls
themselves relate to the format.

Then again, just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean they aren't
going to do it!

If they were going to change the WODS call, I would have liked to have
seen them change to WMEX last year when that call was available.  Now
=there= would have been a great call for an Oldies station.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/