Re: Oldies 1-0-3 POINT 3

>>Gary wrote:
>>>Why have they suddenly added the "point three" to the logo.  All of the
>>jocks are using it, the promos are using it and even the Charlie Van Dyke
>>liners and sweepers are using it.
>>
>Donna Halper wrote:
>
>>Actually, I am hearing some stations saying DOT three rather than POINT
>>three, to emphasise their web-sites and to appear up with the latest in Net
>>terminology... what's really funny is watching non-computer literate folks
>>(such as the anchors on WBZ-TV news) reading web-sites incorrectly...
>>
>>Research I have seen about vague dial position (Kiss 108-- where is 108???)
>>indicates that people often have no idea what station they are listening to
>>-- even in their own home or store; passives don't pay that close attention,
>>unless some major event or their favourite song is on.   So, if you can make
>>it more specific for them, it helps them in their recall for Arbitron or
>>whoever... in an over-radio'd universe, stations with a specific identifier
>>or a cute slogan  that is memorable are more likely to be recalled when
>>ratings services are trying to get the passives to tell what they are
>>listening to...

        Seems to me that WODS is just catching up to the need to give its
dial position digitally because nearly all car radios and now many (most?)
others that are in service are digital. If the station just calls itself
103, it could be on any one of
five channels on the radio and listeners are confused. They may tune to
another station in the 103s instead when looking for you. You want them to
go right to you.

        The reference to 103 reminded me of WBZ, long ago, changing its
identification from "radio 103" to "radio 10-30." That, I always presumed,
was because at that time--around 1970, maybe?--FM was on the rise rapidly
and for the first time "103" meant something besides an AM dial
position--and the last thing they wanted was for someone to look at the
dial of their radio, and flip on the FM side trying to listen to WBZ (AM).

       Semi-related trivia: In Baltimore last week, I was surprised to see
and hear
that WBAL is (still-?) calling itself "radio 11." It seemed like such a
throwback.
        Unless you're right near the transmitter, I don't think the signal
is very good when you tune your radio to 1100. Kind of distorted, even
right there at the towers. And at night it sounds like they moved the
station to Cleveland. Sounds much better tuned to 1090.