Re: Donn Parker / WMEX circa 1960 / and Little Walter

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> When did Larry Justice arrive? In my book, he was the most talented of the
> "WMEX good guys." I thought he was clever and funny and did very tight
> production. Same reason I thought so highly of Bruce Bradley during his days
> at WROW Albany in the 50s. Justice did several dayparts at WMEX. I think
> that he was doing AM drive immediately before he left the station, but I
> think I recall him in PM drive and at middays over the years.

Sometime around the mid- to late-60s.  If he'd been their much earlier,
his name on the air would have been Dan Donovan or Fenway.

In 1985, WROR had a Rock & Roll Reunion Weekend, with a number of the old
WRKO and WMEX DJs.  On Saturday, Arnie Ginsberg said that they were having
a Dan Donovan convention at Fenway Park, and they were drawing straws.
Whoever won would be there Sunday as Dan Donovan.

The Dan Donovan who actually appeared Sunday was the last Dan Donovan.  He
described how he came to see Mr. Richmond about a job, and his audition
was to go on that day as Dan Donovan.  Apparently, they liked what they
heard, because from that moment on, he was Dan Donovan, and the guy who
had been Dan Donovan was instantly changed into Johnny Dark and given the
all-night shift.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/