Re: Donn Parker / WMEX circa 1960 / and Little Walter

At 04:40 AM 7/18/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Glenn Spatola wrote:
>
>> What a line-up 'MEX had circa 1960: the original "Fenway" from 5:30 to 10
>> am, Dan Donovan mid-days 10 to 2, Melvin X. Melvin's "Gold Platter Show"
>> from 2 to 6:00 pm, Donn Parker 6 to 8, Woo-Woo Ginsberg 8 to 10 pm, and (oh,
>> yes) Jerry Williams from 10 pm to midnight or so.  (Anyone else want to post
>> about WMEX in the late 50's / early 60's?)
>
>When I listened in 1962 (after WCOP flipped formats), Mel Miller was on
>from 10 to noon, and Dan Donovan from 12 to 3 or so.  Melvin X. Melvin
>(Who was also Mel Miller) was on from something like 3 to 6, and "The
>Jones Boy" was on from 6 to 8.  Or maybe 5 to 8.  I thought Donn Parker
>came along much later.

Williams was on from 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM. If his show had gone off at
midnight, he couldn't very well have used the slogan "the man who owns
midnight." (Somehow, I don't think Williams or WMEX invented that slogan; I
believe it had been used elsewhere. Can someone trace its origin?)
Eventually, Larry Glick was on from 1:00 AM to 6:00 AM.

When did Larry Justice arrive? In my book, he was the most talented of the
"WMEX good guys." I thought he was clever and funny and did very tight
production. Same reason I thought so highly of Bruce Bradley during his days
at WROW Albany in the 50s. Justice did several dayparts at WMEX. I think
that he was doing AM drive immediately before he left the station, but I
think I recall him in PM drive and at middays over the years.

After he left WMEX, Justice went into station ownership. I know this has
been asked and answered, but I forget the answer: One of his stations, maybe
the first one he bought, was an FM on Cape Cod. Which one? I know that he
sold it a year or two ago and I think it was Donna who posted his (then)
current whereabouts. Can someone provide an update?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205