Re: Feedback on WROR

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Bill O'Neill wrote:

> Owners would like us all to think just that, that radio packages signals
> like the cable industry.  Bottom line is Full Service A/C is expen$$$ive.
> (Not that all news is cheap, either.)  That's why I think no one is
> attempting it at this point, anyway.  Ever see the final A/C numbers out of
> BZ, HDH?  They were not all that bad and they were in the "pre-niche" days
> of radio.

The core audience of AC stations today(like Mix, Magic or Oasis) varies
tremendously from the same core audience from, say, 10 years ago. A 35
year old listener of the old 'ROR in 1987 and can not be compared to
a 35 year old Mix listener today. Full Service A/C might have been
king a decade ago but is there a potential  audience for it today?
Sure, but not on the level where the cost justifies the interest out
there.

The radio needs of listeners, especially on AC and CHR stations, always
change depending on many different factors(age, personal taste, lifestyle
situation, etc). Look at 'BMX in the last 6 years and 1/2 years, it
went thru 2-3 major tweaks since replacing the old 'ROR.

Owners/program directors who keep in touch with their audience, and, of
course, in the ever-present pursuit of profit, respond to listenrs' needs
by changing formats, playlists, staff, adding/replacing/moving programs,
etc....[Ever thought that a rock station like 'BCN would
have a techno dance show on its air?("CyberSounds AfterHours on Sundays
at 2am) Probably not. But guys like Oedipus respond because audience
tastes are always shifting. If you dont move, somebody else will move in
to capture that slice of your audience.

The 'new' 'ROR would have never come on the scene and survived on its own
if it wasnt part of the multiple-station group where it becomes quite
effective as part of 3-4 station group
looking to completely capture a specific demo group....there's no way a
station could afford to pay for so many big 'names' with a below 3.0 share
in the old days -- it would be out of business....

Just my $1.00 worth :-),

- -Mark