RE:

Sean P. Smyth wrote:
>Speaking of WBOQ, does anyone have any stories about Simon Geller,
>who owned WVCA, which was later sold to Tanger and became W-
>BACH? A man operating a radio station out of his apartment was a
>really fascinating story.

Nothing super extraordinary - I visited him in 66/67 (not sure exactly
when) along with the Chief Engineer of WRYT.  The apartment was (to be
polite) a little less than meticulous.  The announcer's booth/control
room overlooked the main street of the town.  Mr. Geller was (as everyone
knows) a tad eccentric.  It appeared from our conversation that earlier
in his boadcasting career, he crossed swords unsuccessfully with someone
in New York somewhere.  From what I remember of the discourse
(diatribe?), it appeared that it had been a union vs. management issue
and he felt he was the "scapegoat".  His lifestyle seemed to be his way
of "getting even" with those who "done him wrong" i.e. "it was his
station, he bought it/built it, and he'd run it any way he darned well
pleased".  I guess it's sorta what we all dream of, it's just he just
managed to "do it" - eccentricity and all.

It was kinda sad.  A man with a grudge who became a legend.