RE: The Big 68

BUMP MARTIN wrote:
>> From: Martin J. Waters         \ Internet:    (mwaters@wesleyan.edu)
>> On my Superradio III, with the wideband on, I listened to some of the
>>WRKO day of music on the fourth.

>RKO did another day of music?  And I missed it???

And "Oh Boy!" what you missed:

1. Announcer (Katz?) reminiscing about a particular song and album (let's
say Tom Petty for example) while the music played (Creedence) bore
absolutely no relation to the group the announcer was talking about.

2. Afternoon Rock 'N'  Roll bad-boy "Howie Carr" waxing eloquent about
Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall Pt.II".  What gets played?  About
one minutes worth of A.B.I.T.W Reprise - not the Real Song.

3. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - w/o Phil Rizzuto.

4. Marjorie (and Tai - still living in her shadow) mumbling about their
favorite band "Boston" and their "Favorite Song" i.e. "Long Time".   What
was played?  The cut before "Long Time" i.e. "Foreplay" and then "Long
Time"  I know they're all one cut on the CD, but that ain't the way it
was on the LP.  And the LP came first.  Only revisionist AORheads
consider them to be one song.  The same way ice cream stand clerks
consider "WhippedCream'N'Nuts" to be one inseparable item.

5. Noon Top Of The Hour Jingle promoting "News - followed by more music".
 Followed by "LOTS AND LOTS OF SILENCE".  Followed by another jingle
touting "A Commercial Break - followed by more music".  Followed by "EVEN
MORE LOTS OF SILENCE".  Followed by the News Sounder and a very mediocre
newscast.

All this in just the 2 hours I was listening.  I cringe to think of all
the other gaffes (engineering and musical) I was fortunate enough to
avoid.

>It always befuddles me how little effort they put into what could be a
>great promotion.

Very Little Effort.

This was just a contest.  To win a trip to Bermuda, all you had to do
was:
A. Listen "all day" on the 4th of July.
B. Write down all 68 songs, artists and albums - in order.
C. Listen to Marjorie & Company on Monday.
D. Wait for the cue to call.
E. Be the 68th caller.
F. Answer the question correctly.

The songs played were touted as being "voted" by the listeners.  Sounded
 mostly like WEGQ listeners.

Flames expected.

Roger Kirk a.k.a. The Wizard Of Music
rkirk@videoserver.com