Re: Things you can do on AM

At 03:12 AM 6/8/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Speaking of Canadian stations, I found out something intersting a few
>weeks ago while rooting about in the AM Engineering database.  It
>seems that CBE in Windsor is a class A station under the Region 2
>agreement... which is why all the 1550s in the northeast are daytimers
>or have only puny night authorizations.  Even though CBE is only 10
>kW, they still have to protect the Canadian border as if it were a
>clear channel!

I knew that CBE is a Class A and that the US 1550's have to protect the
Canadian border as a consequnce. Or do they simly have to protect CBE's 0.5
mV/m 50% skywave? For some stations, the difference is significant. In fact,
if you check out KQXI, Arvada CO (on 1550), you will find a dazzling array
of applications and CPs to improve night sevice. This train of applications
is as confusing as WXLX's. By the old rules, a US station on a Canadian
clear channel had to be at least 650 miles from the nearest point of land in
Canada to be authorized night service. I guess that the Denver area is right
on that line. I think KQXI (or whatever the calls were originally) started
out as a daytimer and at some point was granted relatively low power night
service (this was before odd powers were allowed). I guess that KQXI is now
trying to take advantage of the new rules and, I presume, has been running
into the usual litany of environmental problems that any station that wants
to put up a new directional or even modify an existing one faces these days.

I think that CBE and KNZR in Bakersfield CA (on 1560) are the only two Class
A AMs in the US and Canada that don't run 50 kW fulltime. Like CBE, KNZR is
10 kW at night, but KNZR recently increased its day power to 25 kW.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205