Re: Things you can do on AM

<<On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 01:09:25 +0000, Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net> said:

> I don't know if three high-power directional stations share a single antenna
> system anywhere, but I think it's technically feasible.

Hmmm... According to the FCC database, CKYC-1420 and CHIN-1540 share a
site, but as the reference coordinates are different, I don't think
they share any towers.  (CKYC uses 5 day, 6 night; CHIN uses 2 day, 4
night, and is slightly farther south.)  If you add onto this all the
stuff coming across the lake from the Niagara Peninsula (590, 640,
680, and 820) plus the stuff in Oakville pointed up the lakeshore
(1010, 1050, and 1250), I imagine there are significant possibilities
for problems.  I'm not sure what 1090 and 570 (both also 50 kW) do,
besides the obvious fact that they don't radiate much this way (570
has to protect NYC and Syracuse; 1090 has to protect the US-Canada
border).

CBL and CJBC could probably get better signals in downtown Toronto by
simply moving to Toronto Island with 1540 and 1420, rather than moving
to FM.

Speaking of Canadian stations, I found out something intersting a few
weeks ago while rooting about in the AM Engineering database.  It
seems that CBE in Windsor is a class A station under the Region 2
agreement... which is why all the 1550s in the northeast are daytimers
or have only puny night authorizations.  Even though CBE is only 10
kW, they still have to protect the Canadian border as if it were a
clear channel!

- -GAWollman

- --