AM radio is NOT dead!!

<<On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:02:51 -0400 (EDT), ssmyth@tiac.net (Sean P. Smyth) said:

> When I read the several postings which I got in my mailbox, I was horrified
> as to how people have given up on AM radio. If AM radio were dead, I don't
> think ARS would have spent $5 million to pick up wasteland station WNFT.
> Just to lose money?

No.  Because the station comes with a parcel of very valuable real
estate which has an even more valuable piece of real estate anchored
on top of it---the old WCOP-FM tower.  They're certainly not going to
turn 1150 off, because even the license is worth money (particularly
if they can use it to help CBS screw itself over yet again), but a
tall tower in Lexington overlooking Route 2 is far more valuable than
a little 5-kW AM station in market #10.  (Of course, if they can make
it into a not-so-little 50-kW AM station in market #10, it would be
worth a lot more, provided they managed to avoid 1510 syndrome.)

- -GAWollman

- --