Re: LBJ's stations

At 04:44 PM 6/6/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Ah-hah!  Ed rules!!!  KLBJ in Austin was originally KTBC.  LBJ bought the
>AM, the FM and the TV station.  That was, I believe, the first acquisition
>of his broadcasting company.  And as I recall, like many congressmen and
>politicians, he operated stations under various company names.  But this
>gives me a start at least-- thanks, Ed!

Actually it was LadyBird who founded Texas Broadcasting Co and bought the
AM, which was then a Class IV on 1230 or 1240. She moved it to 590, where it
had the biggest signal in Austin. Then she applied for and got the full
Class C FM at a time when not too many broadcasters were willing to take a
chance on FM. Although it may have been LBJ's influence that got Austin its
lone VHF allocation, the Johnsons had to compete for the channel against
other applicants. It was probably a foregone conclusion who would win in the
competitive hearing, but the FCC at least went through the motions. LadyBird
was reputedly always the brains behind the broadcasting company. I don't
think the Austin calls changed from KTBC to KLBJ until after Lyndon became
president.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205