Re: ARS begins 'NFR LMA

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> The trouble is that there isn't all that much "different" to do (at least
> that stands a chance of attracting an audience).

I'm not so sure about this.

For one thing, prices for FMs have gone through the roof in the last few
years as Wall Street money has taken over the industry.  The Wall
Streeters have shown themselves to be very conservative, unwilling to take
risks. FM programming seems to follow a few well-worn formulae.

To me that suggests that AM, mostly ignored by the big money boys, will be
the source of the next wave of innovation in radio.  Licenses are still
relatively cheap on the AM side; entrepreneurs with new ideas looking to
get on the air will gravitate to AM because it's there, it works and it's
available.

> Let's face it, the minute you have something that "works" on AM (ie: makes
> money), someone's gonna do it on FM, and there go your listeners.

I think that's less true today than in the past; at most FMs you now have
a level of corporate bureaucracy that wasn't there ten years ago.  With
bureacuracy comes inertia and, too often, a "not invented here" mentality.

I think the key to success on AM is choosing the right station.  If the
target audience can hear it, and you promote it, and they like it, I think
they'll listen.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com