Re: ARS begins 'NFR LMA

In a message dated 97-06-01 23:58:08 EDT, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
(Dan Strassberg) writes:

> I tuned past 1150 this evening and I thought I was caught in a
>time warp or was undergoing a flashback to ABC/SMN's now-dead Z-Rock format,
>which had aired on a lot of near-death AMs. WNFT is now // WAAF. I can
>hardly imagine that hard-rock/heavy-metal is what ARS has in mind for its
>latest AM property in the Hub (let's hope not, anyhow--that crap makes
>Salem, Communicom, and Blount sound as if they really are connected with
>God) but I guess we have to keep waiting to find out what ARS has in mind.

Actually, it's a smart move.  Should give an extra half point or point in
ARS's portfolio of conglomerated ratings.  Makes more sense to // AAF than
KLB; by bringing in a somewhat unduplicated format from one market ot
another.
Hard rock on AM may do well in the next few years since rock FM's are VERY
stagnant with only "tested" music. --  TWICE this past week, I've been
approached by phone by two Z-Rock-type satellite program providers who want a
Boston signal at night;  even mine!
Maybe there's something to this!  Remember WNTN in the mid 70's?  After BCN
went more mainstream, and WNTN played the TRUE progressive (or REgressive,
depending upon you look at it) rock.   Now I know I'm comparing apples and
oranges here.... 1975 vs 1997, but AM WILL ALWAYS WORK IF something DIFFERENT
is done with it!!!

- ----jibguy