Re: "QUAD" Broadcasts......

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Rob Landry wrote:

> Dave MacNeill tells me that WCRB did live BSO broadcasts in stereo in the
> fifties using AM 1330 for one channel and FM 102.5 for the other.
> The orchestra probably had just two microphones in front of it; in such a
> situation phase errors might not make much of a difference.

Until the advent of FM Multiplex, WCRB used to do a lot of stereo
broadcasting, using one channel on AM and the other on FM.  But there were
some FM-FM stereo broadcasts, I think involving WGBH and either WBUR or
WBCN.  There was also at least one AM-FM-TV broadcast (though I don't know
what Boston radio stations were involved, if any) of a Walt Disney show on
ABC.  The viewer was instructed to tune an AM radio to "Your ABC Station"
on one side and an FM radio on the other.  Since I think the local ABC
affiliate was WTAO, which was a daytimer, I don't know whether this
experiment actually worked in Boston.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/