WFNX

> On Sun, 25 May 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>
> > As for a David whupping a Goliath today, my guess is highly unlikely
..
> > Compare WFNX to WBCN...only the real die-hard alternative rock fans
put up
> > with FNX's crappy signal.

If a format creates a real loyalty....and the format isn't available
elsewhere....people will put up with a crappy signal....and even AM!
While the music IS available elsewhere (BCN) I would think that there
are some people that like the presentation on FNX over BCN.

But with the recent ratings, it appears that FNX has lost about half
their audience...putting it in the same ballpark as WXKS-AM/WILD....And
doing as wel (or as bad, depending on your perspective as "The River"
(92.5)

Then Ron Landry wrote...

> If I owned WFNX, I'd go to a news format, especially if I also owned a
> newspaper.

So, you consider 'The Pheonix" a newspaper??  <LOL! GGG>

> I suspect the WFNX folks would see their coverage improve dramatically
if they
> switched to mono.

Their coverage may increase....but their listenership probably wouldn't.
  Don't underestimate the 'pshycological effect' that the little red
'stereo' light has in satisfying a listener....

> Frankly, I can't understand why they continue to cling to alternative
rock in
> the face of WBCN's dominance in that format.

What else is there to do?  If there was something, you'd suppose that
WEGQ or WOAZ would chose it already....