Re: Gun Mountain Tower in NH for sale?

At 04:01 PM 5/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I was listening to WKBK 1220 AM Keene at a few minutes before one today
>and heard an advertisement offering a tower and building in Winchester,
>N.H. overlooking the Connecticut River Valley.  This could only be the
>old WRLP TV 32 tower on Gun Mountain.

Probably not, tho I didn't hear the ad, I'm a former (as of three weeks
ago) employee of KBK. What this more likely is, is the old WXOD 98.7 tower
site, which first went on the air from a tower site in Winchester about 6
years ago. The transmitter site was moved over the last couple years to
Keene, which provided far less multipath and enabled the station to go
stereo. The former owners who installed the station wisely, in my
estimation, decided to provoke as few fights as possible to get the thing
on the air.

WXOD is KBK's sister FM, and first went on the air as a full simulcast -
it's been oldies for years - but the idea was to put it as far north as
possible while still covering the "city" of license, Winchester. Also they
wanted to put it up without spending a lot of money, which led to that
site, which had a road and power to it. I never got a straight answer as to
the name of the road, which seemed to vary depending on whom I asked. It's
on the ridge West of Route 10 between Winchester and Swanzey. I do know the
station's owners did own the property, or so they told me.

XOD couldn't be put on the old RLP tower, tho everyone considered it, due
to spacing requirements. Is the RLP tower is actually in Winchester?

>sounded like it was for sale.  I'd like to buy it, but I don't have a
>good reason or the money.  ;-)

Having a ham license seems a good reason to buy a tower :-)

- -Pete
WNTK
WB2QLL