Re: Gun Mountain Tower in NH for sale?

On 5/24/97 8:49 PM, 'A. Joseph Ross' (lawyer@world.std.com) wrote:

> When did WRLP go off?  What happened?

It's a long story, and I'm sure others on this list know more details
than me.
William L. Putnam, owner of WWLP Springfield (channel 22) ran WRLP
Greenfield (channel 32) as a satellite of 22.  Towards the end of 32's
life, it was turned into an independent station running lots of Alfred
Hitchock shows as I remember!  Mr. Putnam was angry that the rise of
cable systems importing programming such as Red Sox baseball from WSBK
Boston (channel 38) cut into his own audience, as 22 and 32 also carried
the Red Sox.  Channel 22's power increase also reduced the need for 32 as
a satellite of 22.

Putnam sold 22 in the 1980s, I believe, and although he stayed with 22
for a while, I don't know how long he lasted there or where he is now.  I
always enjoyed his on-air editorials.  They were, uh, unique.  He was
never afraid to speak his mind.

It's really too bad 32 went dark.  That part of the world doesn't have
too many TV stations.

Paul