Re: Lyric edits/insertions

Bill wrote:
>>The one song I remember (although the title and female artist elude me at
>the moment) goes something like "I put on the radio ... WRKO(or whatever
>station) ... [snip]

That was no demo.  In the old payola days, it was common practise for record
companies to reward Parallel 1 Radio & Records reporting stations-- these
were about 50 top-40 stations (Kiss 108 among them) which got the best
service, the best everything because they were considered VERY important; a
P.1 reporter could make or break a record, and record promoters would do
almost anything for the PDs of those stations.  So, Elektra had the Pointer
Sisters send out special edits to all the P1 stations of their hit song
"Fire" (written, as you know, by Springsteen...).  WRKO was still a P.1 back
then, so we got one too.  (I'm riding in my car, I turn on the radio to
'R-K-O)  Needless to say, all the non-P.1 reporters were not happy about it...