RE: Censoring "Kodachrome"

There are even earlier attempts at censorship-- way back in 1931, WBZ became
the laughing-stock of the Boston media when the PD (John L. Clark) pulled
the plug on a network show by a major bandleader because he thought one of
the songs in the program had dirty lyrics.  The bandleader, Joe Rines, heard
about it and was furious, and a verbal duel ensued in the pages of the
Boston newspapers.

More recently, I recall that "One Night", a song originally done in the
early 50s as "One night of sin is what I'm now paying for" was changed when
Elvis sang it for top-40; his version said "one night with you is what I'm
now praying for".  Then, also in the mid 50s, a guy named Rod Bernard had a
hit called "This Should Go On Forever", whose original lyrics had the line
"if it's sin to really love you, I'll forever live in sin".  Evidently, the
church toom offence, because a new version popped up with the line changed
to "if it's wrong to really love you, then so wrong I've always been".  Even
Roy Orbison got censored-- the original "Pretty Woman" had the line "come TO
me baby, be mine tonight", but radio felt that 'come to me' was a euphemism
for sex, and made him change the line to "come WITH me baby"... sigh... And
o, the many times that congressional committee played "Louie Louie", trying
to find the dirty words-- there are none, by the way...