Re: George Jaspert redux

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> And yes, for the person who asked, according to several sources, it
> absolutely was George Jaspert who founded WCCM (in 1947-- another event that
> occurred in 1947, along with the founding of WJDA in Quincy...).  Jaspert
> claimed to have been present at the beginning of KDKA-- otoh, so did lots of
> people, as years later, millions would say they had been at Woodstock...
> Anyway, we do know Jaspert was the first station manager of 2 of
> Westinghouse's stations in 1921, and as I said in an earlier post, he was
> quite an innovator in early radio.

When I was in high school, I once called up WCCM/WGHJ specifically to find
out why the FM station was called WGHJ, rather than WCCM-FM.  The
receptionist gave me someone who was apparently Jaspert's son.  He told me
that he didn't know why his father chose those calls, except that GHJ were
his father's initials.  I also asked why WGHJ signed off at sunset along
with WCCM, and he said that it was difficult to get the necessary
advertising to run an FM station alone.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/