Re: Top 40 on WBZ (was First With Rock)

<<On Thu, 08 May 1997 21:49:24 -0400, Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> said:

> I always thought of WBZ as a true 'personality' station-- Jefferson Kaye,
> Dick Summer, Bruce Bradley-- they were entertainers.  They didn't just 'play
> the hits'.

I think we've got a bit of cognitive dissonance going on here.  Some
people think of ``top 40'' as referring to a format a radio station
might have had, where other people see merely a genre of music
(usually what they liked to listen to when they were young...).  By
this second view, for a station to play ``top 40'' would not
necessarily mean that it only played tracks from this week's Hot 100
with a high-energy presentation, but rather that it played mass-appeal
pop hits (as opposed to country, standards, or classical).

- -GAWollman

- --