Re: reminiscing about Boston radio

At 06:48 AM 5/4/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I thought I would bring
>back a few memories with what you would have heard back in May of 1954:
>At night, Norm Tulin held down the fort at WORL,

Norm Tulin was certainly on WORL at that time--but not at night. WORL was a
daytimer and broadcast "hours of restful silence" (well, not if you had a
decent radio; you could pick up WIBX and/or WPEN pretty well) from sunset
until 6:00 the following morning. By the time I got here in '56, the WORL
lineup included Gregg Finn in AM drive (with 15 minutes off for Cardinal
Cushing and the Rosary from 6:15 to 6:30), Norm Tulin, Stan Richards, and
one other personality I can't recall in the PM drive. Whether Richards did
9:00 to noon and Tulin did noon to 2:00 or whether it was the other way
around, I can't recall.

>As for Vic Diehm (WVDA-- that's what the call letters stood for-- Vic Diehm
>Associates), he had a long history of owning or running stations in Maryland
>and Pennsylvania.  How he got involved with Boston radio, I am still trying
>to find out.  Perhaps Dan or Joe knows something about this...

Diehm owned stations mostly in PA. Two that I remember were WAZL in Hazelton
and WHLM in Bloomsburg. He ran BIG ads in Broadcasting when he moved WHLM to
550 (1 kW-D/500W-N DA-2, if I remember correctly). I'm pretty sure he also
owned WHOL in Allentown. I think that, prior to WVDA, his group included
four or five stations. I believe that at one time he was cited (I think by
the FCC) for discriminatory hiring practices, but I don't recall whether any
fines were imposed. As to how he came to purchase a New England station, I
don't know. I'm pretty sure that Boston was the largest market in which he
had a property.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205