Re: reminiscing about Boston radio

Dan wrote:
>Norm Tulin was certainly on WORL at that time--but not at night. WORL was a
>daytimer and broadcast "hours of restful silence" (well, not if you had a
>decent radio; you could pick up WIBX and/or WPEN pretty well) from sunset
>until 6:00 the following morning. By the time I got here in '56, the WORL
>lineup included Gregg Finn in AM drive (with 15 minutes off for Cardinal
>Cushing and the Rosary from 6:15 to 6:30), Norm Tulin, Stan Richards, and
>one other personality I can't recall in the PM drive. Whether Richards did

True, but don't forget, when we changed the clocks, all the daytimers were
on in the early evening and the listing I have shows that Norm Tulin did a
short programme until sign-off.  Is that erroneous?  (I checked 4 newspaper
listings, since we don't put much faith in the Boston Globe...<g>)

As for the Rosary, it wasthe subject of a standing joke in Boston when I was
a kid-- Cardinal Cushing, a wonderful person and a friend to the Jews, had a
voice like nails on a blackboard-- hoarse, nasal, very unpleasant to listen
to.  But people adored him.  When he said the rosary, which for the
non-Catholics, was in a call-and-respond style (that is, he said one part,
and then the priests and brothers assisting him would respond), he would
perpetually step on their response in his hurry to go on to his next line.
I could do a flawless imitatio of him, but I never did it around my Catholic
friends!!!  Anyway, the Rosary was very much listened to back in those days,
and while the rest of the day's programming was mainly non-religious,
hearing Cardinal Cushing was a highpoint for many of my neighbours...