Re: more about...WEZE rock

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> As for the 680 COL, I know some about that. I was not in Boston when WNAC
> moved from 1260 to 680, WLAW went silent, and WVDA appeared on 1260. But
> when I got here 41 years ago this month, WNAC was IDing as WNAC
> Boston-Lawrence and WNAC-FM Boston.

That would have been May 1956.  I got back to the Boston area in May 1957.
At that time, they were IDing as WNAC Boston and Lawrence, with no mention
of WNAC-FM.  I also have an aircheck of a campaign broadcast by President
Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon, which would make it fall 1956, with
the ID WNAC, Boston and Lawrence, with no mention of WNAC-FM.  Maybe the
FM station was silent for awhile around then.  Or maybe the WRKO-FM call
was in use by then.  I've been saying for some time that I heard the
WRKO-FM calls for the first time, in an automated ID that ran on FM only,
in December 1958, when I got my first FM radio.  But so far no one seems
to have managed to document this.

> Several years after I arrived here, Lawrence was dropped from the ID. I
> don't remember if Lawrence disappeared from the ID while the calls were
> still WNAC or whether the change took place at the time the calls changed to
> WRKO. I think that the station had to once again obtain FCC permission to
> change the cities mentioned in its ID.

I believe it may have been sometime around 1960 or 1961, when they changed
to something close to the WEZE beautiful music format.  At that time, they
began to ID as "WNAC AM, WRKO FM" and then "WNAC plus WRKO-FM."  I think
they were only saying Boston at that time.  At least they were not making
a distinction between the AM and FM CoL.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/