Re: boston-radio-interest-digest V1 #29

On 5/2/97 Sonny Daye wrote:

> This reminded me of something I did a few times in my college radio days at
>UMass (during that same era). While doing my morning show, I listened to Ron
>Landry on WDRC (Hartford) in my headset. He'd do a bit or a gag. Right after
>my record, I'd do the same bit or gag. I never could figure out why my
>"ratings" weren't higher!  :-)
>Maybe the Arbitron people were pushing buttons and caught on to my "act". I
>always credited Landry as my "writer"! (On my night show, I did the same
>thing with Joey Reynolds on KB - I recently told him about this!)  Oh well, 2
>out of the 3 of us went on to bigger and better things.  :-)

This solves a 31-year mystery...The rest of the air staff at WMUA had been
trying to figure out why one side of our headset was monitoring WDRC while
the other side was our air monitor!  If I recall correctly, it was through
the left ear that we heard 'DRC.  And for right-handed people, it's the left
side of the brain that's the CREATIVE side, isn't it?  I guess he was just
trying to help...

By the way, I think WTAO might have been the precursor to WCAS in Cambridge,
740 AM.

Let me drop a couple of names of creative Boston air personalities:
Bruce Bradley and Dick Summer in the early 60's on WBZ ("radio one-o-three").
Take care--

Glenn Spatola
gspatola@tscnet.com
(360) 871-8237