Re: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

At 03:15 AM 4/24/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Alice Branigan, in her radio nostalgia column in Popular Communications a
>few years ago, said that WORL illegally operated unlicensed for a few
>years into maybe the early 1950s, then was shut down when the FCC found
>out.  She seemed to think that was the end of the station.  That didn't
>sound right, since I knew very well that WORL lasted well into the 60s,
>became WRYT, etc.  So how did the station get its license back?

No, Branigan _was_ right. The station did not get its license back. The
station that appeared in Boston on 950 in 1950 (according to Donna--and I
now think Donna is correct about the date) was really a _new_ station. The
frequency and calls were the same, but the ownership was different. This was
not a continuation of the old license but an application for a new station.
Moreover, neither the TX nor the studio locations were the same. I believe
the old WORL had its TX in Wellesley. The new WORL/WRYT/WROL has its TX in
Saugus at the pre-1948 site of WHDH. Although the final studio location of
the old WORL was in Kenmore Sq and so was the first studio location of the
new WORL, the studios were in different places.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205