Re: WORL (was 1957 airstaffs)

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> WORL came back on the air with new owners sometime in late 1950/early 1951
> (Pilgrim Broadcasters, I think...)  The station operated until 1966, when it
> changed to WRYT.  It was at that point that the call letters went to
> somebody else... Ken Carter had hated to lose them, but he evidently felt it
> was time for a change-- I know for a true fact that WORL had a pop
> incarnation because I remember the d.j.'s who were on the air there.  Only
> the old ownership died in 1949, and the station did go dark, throwing many
> people out of work.  But contrary to Alice's article,  the station DID go
> back on the air after the FCC agreed on new ownership-- of course, if she
> liked the old team, then perhaps to her the station was dead, because WORL
> did not re-assemble the original airstaff when they came back on the air...

That makes more sense.  Before, it sounded as though you were saying that
WORL was trying to get back the original calls in the 1950s, when they
still had them.  I'll have to look up Alice Brannigan's article.  It was
quite a few years ago, but I don't think I threw away back issues.  What
she said didn't make sense because I remember WORL being on when she said
it was off.  And I don't think she said the station was dead because the
old team was dead.  She generally mentions an old station's modern
incarnation if it has one.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/