Re: 1957 airstaffs

Dan wrote:

>Seems as though Norm was a very popular first name among Boston DJs of that
>era. Besides Tulin, there were Norm Nathan, Norm Prescott, and maybe some
>others. Prescott also got to New York for a while, I believe--at the old
>WNEW (AM). What pipes! I think Prescott was another of the Boston DJs who
>was hurt by the payola scandals.

And don't forget Norm Ruby of WBOS (where Arnie Ginsberg first did his Night
Train show-- "at 1600, dee-doobie-doo-wah, on your ray-dee-o...")

Yes, Prescott was implicated in payola, but somehow Maynard managed to evade
the charges, although the rules about what was and was not payola were
rather mirky.  Most historians think that those who were charged were
charged because SOMEBODY was expected to be, and as Alan Freed asked, what
is the difference between what we are accused of and what you congressmen do
when you accept gifts from lobbyists?  He never got an answer, and he died
before he could officially be banned from radio for life... meanwhile,
payola/lobbying goes on...